Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Back to School!

We did it! We all made it through the first day of school. With minimal tears shed, on my part :). Thursday, Sept 6th was the boys first day, and today was Brooke's. First, last Thursday...The morning went off without hitch. The boys alarm went off at 7am and I was already downstairs getting breakfast ready. After a couple minutes of quiet from upstairs I went up to make sure they were awake and getting ready. (Usually that process involves a lot of noise!) I was surprised to see Seth dressed and ready waiting for McKee who was just finishing buttoning up his new school jeans. The smiles on their faces were priceless! The were so excited to start school they could barely stand it. Of course Brooke wanted to go to school too, but she still had a couple days to wait for her big day. I promised the boys I would make them waffles and bacon for breakfast the first day of school, so Brooke helped me and the kids were fed well. After breakfast we moved on to brushing teeth, and getting on new school shoes, which is almost as exciting as the first day of school. Everyone was very anxious, even mommy, so everyone put on their backpacks, even Brooke, and headed outside. We took the traditional picture of the kids in front of the Rose of Sharon bush with their backpacks on. (The Rose of Sharon is usually blooming right now and alot taller, but I think we trimmed it down too far last year, so it's growing back slowly). Grandma Simmons came over too, to see the boys off. We were happy to meet some of our neighbors too since Shandell catches the bus with Seth in the morning. Our house is the neighborhood bus stop for English Village Elementary, and McKee catches the Lakeshore bus at the corner, a couple houses down. Seth's bus comes first at about 8:15am and McKee's bus is about 8:45am. Seth gave me a big hug, and climbed on the bus like a pro. I was really good and didn't cry when he climbed on. I cried after McKee got on the bus and I got back inside the house and sat on the couch. It wasn't as bad as it could have been though! After the boys were gone, Brooke, Tyler and I headed over to my friend Lisa's house for her annual Back to School Brunch for the mom's. It was fun, and the food was delicious. She makes the best quiches. I think she gave me the recipes for them last year, I should find those...anyway, I digress.






So this morning was Brooke's turn to go to school. Our morning wasn't as smooth as the boys first day, since we were out late last night looking for a new van, the kids were up until after 9pm which is really late for them. So this morning there was a little more dragging involved with trying to get them out of bed. Brooke was up and ready with a huge smile on her face though. She was so excited to be starting school. She'll be going to preschool just 2 days a week, T/Th from 9-11:30am. She did great. Today was the orientation for about and hour, the kids got a feel for the room and got to meet the teachers, and the parents got the info for the upcoming year. The hardest part was getting Brooke to leave when it was over. On Thursday this week she'll go for 1 1/2 hours, and then next tuesday will start her normal schedule. She's super comfortable there because Seth went to the same school the last 2 years. Hopefully Tyler will be able to go there too when he's three. The program is so cute, they do the best stuff with the kids. I'm sure I'll cry on Tuesday when I drop her off and come home with just one of my 4 kids. Well, enjoy the pictures! They grow up so fast, it's so hard to believe!


This is Mrs. Marino, Brooke's teacher. She loves chocolate!

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Wow, it sounds like everything went great! I can't believe little Brooke-star is in preschool...cool! Enjoy your time!

New Year Day

Today was a fun day. Mike and I sat the kids down and explained our new chore system and any over our expectations of them. It seemed to go...